Updated: Apr 15, 2021
Can you love that which you do not know? In this modern age in which we live, it is increasingly difficult to see past all the chatter, distractions, and externally imposed labels. We are in a perpetual state of seeking validation and affirmation from a world which frequently reminds us that we are: not attractive enough, not the ideal weight or size, not funny, too sensitive, doing things wrong, too old, too young, too shy, too assertive, poor, needy, broken or defiant. The outside world is not configured in a way that allows us to receive the positive affirmation and support that we desire. The fact is, it is incumbent upon every person to relentlessly pursue true knowledge and acceptance of themselves. It is through this process that we can come to genuinely love ourselves.
Here are 10 ways to start loving yourself:
1. Learn who I am through the process of self-discovery
2. Lean into the discomfort that comes from this knowledge
3. Accept who I am
4. Share who I am with others and the world
5. Be who I am despite…
6. Live a life that is congruent with my values and who I know myself to be
7. Do not betray myself in the interest of others, their expectations and to escape my own discomfort
8. Love myself in spite of ….
9. Share my gifts with others and the world
10. Have a routine of self-reflection
Once you have discovered this love for yourself, it will serve as your compass; helping to direct you toward the love which you allow yourself to receive from others, and a guide to remove from your life those relationships and people who illicit feelings of self-doubt and self-hatred. This is a deliberate and intricate process. I would love to be your guide on your own personal journey to self-discovery.